Pancakes – Allergy Friendly
A friend of mine just found out her son is allergic to dairy, soy, coconut and almonds. Needless to say, she is having a tough time finding food for him to eat and as a result is putting her amazing cooking skills to use. She is checking every product before purchasing it and is making a lot of foods fresh. Did you know that most of the breads you purchase at the grocery store has soy in it? Learning about her son’s food allergies has made me more aware of the ingredients that are found in foods and you would be surprised at how difficult it is to find foods without dairy and soy, now add almonds, coconut, pineapple, string beans and crab to the list and you can find yourself with a very limited menu.
Ingredients for the Pancakes
1 cup unbleached whole wheat flour
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 TBS light brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups vanilla rice milk
4 TBS avocado oil
2 tsp bourbon vanilla extract
1 cup blue berries
Instructions for Pancakes
– Preheat griddle to 350 degrees
– Whisk all of the dry ingredients together
– In a separate bowl whisk the wet ingredients together
– Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir just until ingredients are combined, don’t over mix
– You can add extra vanilla rice milk if the batter is too thick
– Spray the griddle with grape seed oil spray (make sure of spray ingredients – to ensure none of the items you are allergic to are in there)
– Drop 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake
– Add the desired amount of berries to each pancake.
– Cook until the edges are dry looking and bubbles then flip over and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes.
– Serve with your favorite maple syrup.
The pancakes were so delicious, the kids ate them plain with no syrup. We even added mango to a few of the pancakes instead of blueberries.
The pancakes are allergy free for those allergic to the following:
Soy,dairy,almonds, coconut, pineapple, string beans and crab
After you try these – leave a comment and let us know how they came out!